Sunday, November 3, 2013

Nine yards! # Saree

I exclaim in delight ! I feel like a nine year old again getting the favorite doll house as a gift!
As I browse online through various websites,online shopping destinations now even featuring saree,I am just in awe!
Yes I love the nine yards cloth which could be draped over the body in various shapes and styles!
I am talking about my love for  the mesmerizing  Saree as it is popularly called.It is one of the favorite experiments by almost all the Indian Fashion designers encashing on the concept of designer saree.
For me I always have been very fond of sarees,various textures,several different ways and multiple fabric!
Saree has always remained close to my heart and I have chosen to wear it in almost every important days of my Life.
Though pleasure of wearing Saree to work is still a distant dream,my office doesnt allow,well their office culture is a little too different but who cares!
Somehow in last 3 months i have succeeded in wearing Sarees to office functions!
First time I was a little hesitant as to which Saree to choose,Then I went for the safer piece.Yes When in doubt about the occasion and choice of dress,go for safer colors such as light shades or white! White georgette,pure chiffon or silk with a dark border.I opted for a dark maroon pearl lined border with white net Saree! Simple yet classy goes well with any social function..With a pearl necklace and pearl ring Simple yet appealing ,one is able to carry it well also.
White Net with pearl border

Saree signifies the grace of Indian Woman especially highlighting her curves and also adequately displaying the curves at right places.
If I trace the history of saree its all starts with Indus Valley civilization wherin in one of the statue the priest has clothe draped.
Now Saree has evolved to multiple types which varies as the region.India being a multi lingual,multi cultural place,even the style of the sarees differ.While in Maharashtra its Kastha ,in Andhra pradesh it is Nivi!

There are infact more than Eighty ways to drape a Saree.
While mostly we working class females prefer to drape saree around the waist with the loose end of the drape to be worn on the shoulder barring the midriff.
Most common way

Then there are regional style which is also known as Gujarati/Rajasthani style wherin after tucking the pleats the loose end of the drape is taken from the back
Gujarati Style
I still am left to try Malayali or  the two-piece sari, or Mundum Neryathum,  which is worn in Kerala.Perhaps my next visit to South India will lead to me to explore Kerala a bit!
And I am also to wear Kastha on the next Ganesh Chaturthi,Its one of those Maharsthrian style wherein you automatically feel like shaking your hips to Lavani! May be Dance is all I can think of each time I see ladies wearing Kastha!

2 comments: